Saturday 30 October 2010

Stroke Diary 16: Endings and Beginnings

It's never a good idea to start a new job less than three months post-stroke unless it involves shorter hours and a more gentle pace than your old one. But my stroke occurred three weeks after I was offered a more senior post in another local authority and only a few days days after I had resigned. I knew it would be hard but starting my new job on time and in reasonably good health became a personal goal. Besides, I had been told that my cerebellar bleed was Very Minor and really, not worth troubling about overly much.
I've now spent two weeks in my new job and life is achieving some equilibrium. The last week in my former Psychology Service drew deeply on my physical and emotional reserves. Clearing out 21 years of junk against a rapidly diminishing window of time resulted in some long days and the farewells, formal and informal, meant facing up to the consequences of the decision I had made pre-stroke; to leave behind a supportive team, an established role and close friendships. And how would I cope in the leafy suburbs and villages of rural Leicestershire, away from the chaotic but positive energy of a multi-cultural city?
With the inevitable lack of sleep over the weekend, it was a zombie who turned up at County Hall on the 18th. October. No one seemed to notice that it wasn't me and I got through each day with a fixed smile and glassy eyes, experiencing a sense of unreality (I'm only a visitor here) with waves of loss for everything familiar and known. I'd been honest with my new employers that I am, despite appearances, still recuperating from a stroke and this had been sensitively acknowleged in my induction. But a stroke is a stroke, no matter how minor and by the end of the first week my brain was protesting. I had head pains and a numbness in my lips, worrying symptoms that I had ignored in the few days prior to my cerebellar bleed in July. A brain scan had already been organised for the folllowing Tuesday, so there was nothing to do except wait. I've since had the scan and have heard nothing, so I'm assuming everything is okay.
I don't know how other stroke patients feel but for me it's as if I have little control over whether I have another stroke or not. There are no risk factors to manage, such as smoking, drinking or using illegal substances, I have no medication to take and a scan will reveal little unless I've already had another bleed. I try to pay closer attention to my body, particularly the goblin with a hammer that now lives at the base of my skull but since there isn't much I can do, it's best to try and forget about it.
The second week has come to an end and I am already feeling established and purposeful at work. With every loss there are gains. In my new world there isn't a long hours culture and I have been shocked to see the inside of my own home by 5.30 almost every evening. I can already see the strengths of the Psychology Service I have joined. I can feel the return of my motivation to finish my current novel instead of staring at undemanding TV every evening and I'm ready to get my diary out to see my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have been through a lot in a short time. I wish you lots of happiness and success in your new job. I am glad to hear you are back to your writing and visiting your friends.

    Linda

    http://leadingahealthylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda, it has been a roller coaster ride but I've been very lucky.
    Morag

    ReplyDelete