Sunday 14 February 2010

Writing on a shoestring

Is it possible to write a novel without any time? I can confirm that it is absolutely possible but a publishable novel? I'll let you know. Firstly, lets dispense with the myths. The first one that's trotted out is the 'getting up at dawn' scenario. If you don't sleep well, that's an impossibility. Dawn may well be when you're just getting off to sleep. But I do know writers who've done it. The second myth is that you can write at work (when the boss isn't looking). Again, I've met writers who do this but if you have a fast-paced job, it's impossible. Here's what works for me, written as a list because very busy people make lists, which is pretty annoying I agree:

1) make contact with your novel every day. This is an old chestnut but worthwhile, even if all you do is read through what you wrote the day before. This keeps your characters at the forefront of your mind and you can mentally write the next scene, work out tricky plot situations or even map out a whole chapter while you're driving, shopping, standing at the photocopier or struggling to remain conscious in a meeting. The disadvantage is that the written version is never as good as the one you 'wrote' in your head. Road safety is another disadvantage. I get so absorbed that I miss junctions or even forget where I'm going. Once, I drove quite a way to Manchester before I remembered I was meant to be driving to Darlington.

2) read lots of fiction. By all means enjoy the book but try to notice stylistic devices, interesting vocabulary and ways the plot is driven forward and shamelessly copy them. Everyone does it, nothing is original, just watch out for plagiarism.

3) avoid television unless you're brain dead at the end of the week. Something has to go and there's truly nothing on.

4) only allow yourself to look at your e-mails and Facebook after you've done your writing. This tip was given to me by Martin Bedford, one of my tutors at Manchester University. Thanks Martin.

5) keep up with friends, family, shopping, holidays, meals out, films, theatre, walks. Live a life. If you don't, what on earth will you write about?

6) carry a notebook and write down overheard dialogue and scenes you observe. You'll at least feel like a writer and restaurants will think you're a critic.

7) if all else fails write about the thing that robs you of your time, whether it's work, children or elderly parents. Keep a diary. Remember, life is art. A teaching assistant and a parent are jointly publishing the home/school diary that went back and forth between them every day for all of a child's primary education. The child has autism. Publishers are fighting over the book. Of course they are.

8) if you have to take a break from the novel (it's Christmas, you have flu, you're on holiday) try not to make it too long. From my experience, getting back to writing after a break can be very difficult.

9) don't worry about how or when you write. I've heard a lot of published authors speak and they're as lazy as the rest of us.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment