Tuesday 28 July 2009

Evaluating Evaluations

In my work I am continually evaluated. At the end of the year, schools are asked to respond to over twenty questions on the service they've had from their educational psychologist. When we finish work with a child, parents are sent a questionnaire and the child is asked to answer one question, 'on a scale of one to ten'...you know the sort. We're currently involved in discussions about how we can get better feedback from the children we work with, as we become more outcomes driven. That's okay, we're a local authority service and accountable to the taxpayers of Leicester but it is hard, in any form of therapeutic intervention, to account for what actually made the difference (because you don't have a control group and you don't stop other interventions.)
But I was surprised to get two evaluation forms through the post this week, one from the company that recently fitted a new carpet in my living room 'we value your opinions and would like your views on our products and services', the other from Curve Theatre in Leicester 'we would love to hear about your experiences at Curve'. You will note I didn't say THE Curve, which isn't allowed in Leicester. The definite article has been dropped, without explanation. To say 'the Curve' is like asking for an ashtray. No one will say anything, but the look will tell you a faux pas has been made. Anyway, in the carpet evaluation, I have to rate the sales floor assistant, the estimator, the clerk and the fitter on a scale from 1 to 5. Naturally, Curve ask more creative questions, 'what does the word theatre mean to you?' That question alone would satisfy the dissertation requirements for a B.A. in Theatre Studies but only a single line response is allowed. Reductionist arguments only please. I am delighted with the form from Curve. At last I can complain about being served a cup of instant decaffeinated coffee in the cafe. The theatre blurb says, 'it's one of those rare places where you can drop in and mingle with actors over a cappuccino.' No mention of mingling over instant decaff.
I will be wasting my time. Evaluation forms are only about percentages. But is this rating business becoming a little overdone? Today I took part in an open mic event, part of the Lyric Lounge, a poetry and music fest currently happening at the Y Theatre. As I left, I was handed an evaluation form for performers. Back at the office, I found a message in my in-box from the council's I.T. support team asking me to evaluate their response to my recent call. Isn't it better to drill quality into services through training and skills development and to respond quickly and efficiently to complaints rather than conduct pointless evaluations? What next...shall we rate our G.P. after each consultation or bus drivers after each journey?

2 comments:

  1. The title, 'evaluating evaluations' is very pertinent. Unless positive change results from carrying out these evaluations, then what's the purpose? We really do need to evaluate the evaluations, to assesss the impact on the respondents (such as yourself) AND on the questionners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I feel that evaluations are increasingly being used to justify the existence of a service rather than bring about change.

    ReplyDelete