Sunday 5 July 2009

Middle-aged ladies about town stay in hotels.

I'm convinced we're given the worst rooms, although an alternative could be that internet 'deals' also sell off rooms no one else wants. I travel a fair bit on my own, mainly to Manchester and I have slept in a dreadful room every time. Last weekend, I stayed in the Palace Hotel in Manchester. I was giving them a second chance, to test out my theory but I also needed to be near the university and Manchester is light on decent hotels within walking distance of the university. My room was small but very high, like a corridor on its side. The windows must have been 15 ft. tall. The room had been carved out of a much grander space and two corners were filled with parts of ornate pillars in a state of decay. On the wall facing the bed, there was a blocked off window. The most worrying thing was that one of my windows was in such poor repair, it had no catch to close or lock.. Outside the window (first floor) there was a flat roof. I got back from seeing friends too late for a move and lay awake all night listening for sounds of an intruder on the roof. The last time I stayed at the Palace I had a room overlooking the dank canal at the back of the hotel, with air conditioning that rattled all night. My friends say I should ask for a move of room and they're right but why give us these rooms in the first place? Is it in the hope that a women on her own won't complain or because I'm not part of a corporate booking, so loss of my business doesn't count for much. Hotel chains such as Premier Inn, where every room is exactly the same and of a reliable standard must be strong competition for four/five star 'character' hotels who still try to pawn unacceptable rooms onto the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment